An exciting, non-contact, co-ed team sport, played by thousands the world over with a flying disc (frisbee).
It mixes the best features of sports such as Soccer, Basketball, American Football and Netball into an elegantly simple yet fascinating and demanding game. To compete at the top level, Ultimate players require an unmatched degree of speed, stamina and agility. Yet the simplicity of the rules means it’s easy and fun for newcomers to pick up.
To see how the game is played, see highlights from the South African National Championships in Cape Town 2012, click here.
Two Ultimate clubs exist in Johannesburg: the Voodoo Kudus at Wits University, and Ultitude at Pirates Club.
- Six clubs now exist in Gauteng!
- Pirates (Ultitude), Wits University (Kudus), Tuks (Pretoria), Soweto, Orange Farm, Skyveld, and Zone Rangers!
- So that’s four more clubs since 2012 (200% growth in the Gauteng region).
- Orange Farm and Soweto are a testament to efforts by the SA Gauteng Ultimate community to make the sport more inclusive: some Ultitude members help coach from time to time.
- There are efforts underway to establish school-level teams. This year saw the first-ever school level tournament happen.