We have experienced great demand so far for Pirates 2 Pirates and it is already a record size running group. As the run is for charity we have decided to keep registration open up until this weekend. We still have a few seats left on the bus if anyone wants to register for that. In order to register you can click on the following link:
The logistics on Sunday are working as follows:
· This year’s edition of P2P is the first time we have managed to get the logistics right to host the up run. The intention going forward will be to alternate direction each year. If you want an electronic map for inserting in your watch you can make contact with me.
· The run will start at 7am on Sunday at Greenside Pirates, 25 Braeside Road. We encourage participants to get there 15 minutes early to get their items on the tog bag bakkie if needed. Speaking of the tog bag bakkie there is no charge to transport your items in it, whether it be a change of clothes, some drinks or some meat (or all three).
· The 22km’s can be run at your leisure but there will be a few groups of runners of similar abilities to ensure no-one gets lost or left behind. It will be apparent within the first few km’s the appropriate group to be in as we climb up into Melville.
· There are no set or official water points along the route. As in the past a few of the supporters may setup them up but we encourage runners to make sure that they are self-sufficient if need be. There are plenty of cafes and garages along the route where runners can buy something to drink.
· We encourage all the runners to run in club colours if you belong to a running club.
· Upon completion of the run there are showers available at Orlando Stadium and the tog bag bakkie will be there to collect your bags from.
· The Motlana Branch of the Orlando Pirates Supporters Club have selected a house one road up from the stadium to host the braai for those that are staying for the festivities – this should start around 10:30am. People attending the bring and braai are encouraged to bring their own meat and drinks although there are shops in the area (another use for the tog bag bakkie)
· It appears that the PSL are getting behind this event as Love PSL, the Supersport Magazine show will be doing a piece at the finish and the local Caxton newspapers looking to put a few articles together of the event.
· For those that are catching the bus back to Greenside the bus will leave Orlando at 3pm.
Special offer from Sportsmans Warehouse Blackheath
We will be Having a 20% OFF Discount when you purchase any 2 Regular Priced Running Apparel, and 20% OFF when you purchase any 2 Regular Priced Running Footwear in Our store. Members Please Note that This Offers is Valid for 4 Days only, starting Thursday 22 September and will end on Sunday 25 September 2016 .
Old Goats/ Young Kids Challenge:
The Wanderers race on Sunday 29th August was the start of the Old Goats / Young Kids challenge – this is where the exuberance and energy of youth (i.e. those under 40) believe they can out-perform the wisdom and craftiness of experience (i.e. those over 40).
The Challenge is quite simple – there are 4/5 events over September/October, the last being a Pirates Time Trial. Each Pirates runner finishing the event gets a certain number of points giving a team total per race.
In total 65 runners participated in the Wanderers event, which must in itself be some sort of record. As was expected, the wisdom of age did out-perform the exuberance of youth on the day – the Young Kids getting 2068 points and the Old Goats a whopping 2514 points!
The first event is at Pirates next Tuesday 13th September at 17h45.
We will be using part of the golf course for the run/walk – thank you Ian and Parkview Golf Club.
Just a reminder about the Pirates 2 Pirates training run on the 25th September. We have had a good number of responses to date but there is still lots of space on the run and on the bus, for those that wish to make use of the travel arrangements.
Pirates Road Running and the Motlana Branch of the Orlando Pirates Supporters Club invite you and your family / friends to join them in this year’s Pirates 2 Pirates. A relatively easy 22km route between the grounds of two of Joburg’s oldest sporting institutions, namely Pirates Greenside and Orlando Pirates. This year for the up run we will be starting at Pirates Greenside and finishing at the Orlando Stadium. The information you may require is in the attached pdf but some of the important logistics to note:
· Start at Pirates Greenside – 7am 25th September 2016
· There will be a Tog Bag truck to transport bags, clothes, meat and drinks to the finish (more on the last 2 later)
· Finish at Orlando Stadium
· Shower facilities available at Orlando Stadium
· We will be having a braai at a private residence close to the Stadium – runners to provide own food and drink
· There is a bus back at 3pm from the braai, tickets are available at R100 per person and can be ordered through the registration process. Alternatively runners can make their own transport arrangements
· Pdf attachment includes the registration link and all runners will be required to register and pre-pay (no cash will be taken on the day)
· All participants are requested to make donation of at least R50 to the Vukani Learning Centre, the official charity of the Motlana Branch of the Orlando Pirates Supporters Club. Pirates Road Running will collect your donations and make bulk payment across to the Motlana Branch
You are more than welcome to forward the email on to your friends and family but they will also need to register via the very quick link.
Any queries to be sent to David Case: firstname.lastname@example.org
Old Eds Water Point + Helpers Runs
We are still short of helpers this Sunday (7th Aug) for the Old Eds water point. If you are in JHB and able to assist please register on the link which allows us to get catering right. The race starts at 8am so the water point only needs to be set up from 7:30am. The back of the field should be through by 10am.
Link for catering:
Then the helpers run is going to take place on the 6th Aug at 7:30am starting at the Old Eds Bowls Club parking. It is only going to be the 10km so, as in the past, there may be a group of Pirates runners going early to get a bit more distance in.
Sani Stagger – 26 Nov 2016
Sani Stagger entries went on sale yesterday and the 21km is already booked out. 42km entries are still available for those looking to do the marathon.
More information can be found on their website: www.sanistagger.co.za
Two of the Superbru leagues that Pirates RR are running start this Friday with the Olympics and the Currie Cup Premier Division. Get yourself into the respective pools before then and prove your superior sporting knowledge (or maybe superior luck).
Pirates Road Running Secretary